Mystery Of The Dripping Bluebirds

Now I’m no Nancy Drew, but I do believe I have solved the mystery of the dripping Bluebirds!

For the past week or so, Bluebirds have been showing up for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner) looking like they’ve just stepped out of the shower.

Sometimes they’ve arrived only slightly damp, like this male…

bluebird1

bluebird2

and other times they’ve been sporting a definite drenched feather look, like this female.

bluebird3

bluebird4

I was confused because I knew they weren’t coming from the birdbaths that I keep filled on my deck and in my yard. Then I happened to see one fly down to a different part of my backyard where a small decorative dish (whose real function is to help hide an electrical outlet) had filled with rain water.

bluebird1

It would seem that this dish makes a perfect personal sized bathtub for a Bluebird!

bluebird2

bluebird3

A female perched by the edge (only room for one in this bath!) and waited for her turn.

bluebird4

bluebird5

I felt bad that the water was so dirty, but now that I know they like it I will try to keep it freshened up.

bluebird5

I feel better now that the mystery is solved!  And even though I’m no Nancy Drew, I did read her books over and over and over when I was a kid.  Personally, I was always secretly hoping she would end up with one of the Hardy Boys instead of Ned!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Mystery Of The Dripping Bluebirds

Good detective work nancy! 🙂

I can almost imagine them lounging on their backsides in their own “jacuzzi” when you’re not around!

3. Lovely, they must be shy little cuties. 💜💜💜 I LOVED Nancy Drew!!! :)))

4. Denis1950 says:

These are great little birds, well captured photographically. Here in my backyard in Melbourne( SE Australia) we have similar sized birds with rather pale green/fawn colouring called Thornbills. However they are very timid and are hard to photograph usually because larger predatory birds are always after them.

5. sconzani says:

How wonderful to have a bluebird spa in your backyard. Lovely photos!

6. Susan Feniak says:

Seems to be the perfect size bath for one. Maybe not very private whilst others wait in line. 🙂

Love your detective work, Kathy! My favorite evidence was the shot where the female was waiting for her turn 🙂

8. Little Voice says:

Your pictures are beautiful. I, too, was a Nancy Drew fan. Nice to know someone else who followed her every mystery.

I can still see the covers in my mind – the horse from Shadow Ranch, the flashlight she holds in her hand as she heads up the tower…good memories. 🙂

Your photos and humor give me such joy! Thank you Kathy! 😄❤️

10. Better a Dripping Bluebird than a Mad Bluebird! 😉

11. Great mystery-solving, Nancy, er I mean Kathy! 😉 Love the shot of the female waiting her turn, cute!