A Tiny Trio

A trio of Nuthatches arrived as soon as I went outside to replenish the peanuts and lather up the branches with some Bark Butter this afternoon. I think they were hoping for some protein since the temperature was dropping and rain is in the forecast.

There was a Brown-headed Nuthatch, who is a frequent feeder in the backyard.

There was a White-breasted Nuthatch, who is also a regular.

And there was a Red-breasted Nuthatch, who recently arrived to enjoy a bit of warmer weather for the winter.

All three types of Nuthatches make squeaky, tub-toy chirps as they hop about. They are curious little birds that don’t seem the least bit concerned by my presence – especially if I come bearing peanuts!

Last winter, I had a Nuthatch eat out of my hand…who knows, maybe I’ll get a repeat performance this year.

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Tiny Trio

1. H.J. for avian101 says:

Would you please send the Red-breated Nuthatch to my backyard for a little while? πŸ™‚
    Thank you Kathy, great shots!

2. Mary says:

I was only familiar with the White-Breasted Nuthatch. Beautiful birds and photos!

Your beautiful images make it easy to see the differences in the three species!

I like watching these little birds at the lake during the summer. They seem so happy πŸ˜ƒ

5. Andrea Jeris says:

I love love love your photos. I am an oil painter and I sometimes paint birds ( I love birds too) I was wondering if you would grant me permission to use some of your photos from time to time to use as a reference to paint from? I would be happy to send you a small commission if the painting happens to sell. I usually paint small and they don’t sell for much. I also would credit you as the photographer of the photo reference.

You can see my work on WordPress or at https://www.dailypaintworks.com/artists/andrea-jeris-5884/artwork

Peace, Andrea Jeris Artist

Follow my blog at https://andreajeris.wordpress.com/ Website andreajeris.com Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AndreaJerisArtist?ref=hl

“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” Dalai Lama.

6. David says:

Great photos to show us the Nuthatch trio! 😊

7. I love your description of their chirps, Kathy ☺️. Beautiful close-ups of your little friends!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )