A Humming Bee?

I took my camera out to the font yard today in the hopes of catching a Hummingbird sipping nectar from the Canna Lilies; instead, I came across a creature I had never seen before.  It looked (and acted) like a cross between a Bumble Bee and a Hummingbird.  A Humming Bee perhaps?

hbmoth1

When hubby got home and I told him about this cool flying critter, he googled it and found out that it is actually a Hummingbird Moth.  More specifically, a Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth.  How cool is that!

hbmoth3When I downloaded the pictures, it was much easier to see the moth-like features – like the proboscis it is using to gather the nectar from the Butterfly Bush.

hbmoth2I have to say, it was fascinating to watch this fellow.  I am already a huge fan of this marvelous moth.  I hope he returns so I can try and get some better photos; to be honest, I was reluctant to get too close since I didn’t know if he had a stinger!

hbmoth4

And in case you were curious, a Hummingbird did eventually make a brief appearance!

hummingbird2 hummingbird1

Part of the joy of nature photography is that you never really know what is going to show up and grab your attention!

This entry was posted in Words Without Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to A Humming Bee?

1. hammywammy says:

Hi, I really like your post. I have a photography blog myself, and the link is https://hammywammyphotography.wordpress.com, and feel free to give any feedback, whether it is anything I did well or anything I could improve on.

2. Great captures and images!

3. Marvellous shots. I’ve only seen the hummingbird moth on three occasions since I took up photography five years ago. What a treat to see!

4. atkokosplace says:

That is fantastic. Isn’t nature amazing! What great shots you got. So clear for such fast little critters! 🙂

Those hummingbird moths are cool, but nothing beats that beautiful delicate hummingbird amidst the red flowers! STUNNING!!!

It is amazing to see a bee the same size as a bird, as your photos show. I do find your hummingbirds most interesting, and would be one bird I would love to see if I visited. Thanks for sharing Kathy.

Wow! I’ve never seen a hummingbird moth before! How cool is that!! ❤️😄❤️

8. jmnowak says:

I love it when others find such unique creatures! Kathy, to me, his backend has the look of a lobster tail (all the black bit)…can you see it? Fascinating! 😀

9. Wow!! Never seen one of these!! Awesome, Kathy! Do you all have a hummingbird feeder? Hub makes his own sugar water and hung it right in front of the window above the kitchen sink. He keeps the water changed often and we are swarming with them. I bet you would be too (if you’re not already, and want to be). He’s asleep now but I can get that recipe if you want it. And thanks for the info about that very cool moth!

10. Sheila Moss says:

What an interesting creature. Great photos. I am going to look up the moth and find out more about it.

11. Cathe says:

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing, I’m just amazed! Beautiful photos!

I can’t tell you how fascinating it was to watch this critter. I think I will forever call it a humming bee in my head since that was the name that first came to mind.

12. I have seen a hummingbird moth once in my garden. By the time I got my camera it was gone. What a disappointment especially since I’ve never seen one again. Very cool images Kathy and I love the hummingbirds too.

13. You have hummingbirds where you live. Wow! Fascinating photos.

14. These are awesome moths! I’ve seen them around the Chesapeake Bay. I was told they will not sting you! 🙂 Great photos, Kathy!

15. gjseth says:

Nice capture 🙂

Check out my blog and follow if you’d like 🙂