Ten Tiger Pictures

I have often said that the reason I blog about birds is because birds happen to be the animal that is plentiful in my backyard.  If tigers were roaming about the property, then they would be the featured creatures.

Well, yesterday I did have the chance to take a picture of a beautiful tiger right in my own front yard…a Tiger Swallowtail that is!

Here are ten pictures of this lovely lady, and a handful of cool butterfly facts.

swallowtail10 swallowtail5

Did you know that butterflies wings are clear, but are covered with tons of teeny tiny scales that create their color patterns?  (This fact came courtesy of Stokes Butterfly Book – a worthy purchase!)

swallowtail7 swallowtail8

Did you know that butterflies bask in the sun to absorb heat?  They fly best when their body temperatures are between 85-100 degrees.

Tigerswallowtail1 swallowtail3

Did you know that butterflies taste with their feet, smell with their antennae, and soak up nectar through a tube-like tongue called a proboscis?  In the picture below, the proboscis is curled up like a crazy straw.

swallowtail2 swallowtail4

Did you know that the lifespan of an adult butterfly is only about two weeks?  Such beauty for such a short time!

swallowtail6 swallowtail9

She really is breathtaking.  And if you don’t have a butterfly bush, you must plant one!

This entry was posted in Words Without Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Ten Tiger Pictures

What beautiful swallowtails! I collected and studied Butterflies as a young boy and always have enjoyed seeing them.Your photos are true delight Kathy:-)

2. Wow, Kathy! These are such tremendous images. I hope you are submitting them to Birds and Blooms! I may try sketching or painting these, not because I think I can do them justice, but because they are totally irresistible. Sharing with Hub too. Thank you, dear friend! ❤

3. Great photos. Wonderful series.

OOOO MMMMM GGGGGG – Beautiful!!! Love the first and last one especially!

5. WOW, what detail you captured! Great job, Kathy!

6. Snehal Kank says:

Oh My!! What a excellent compositions 😍 very lovely! Loved the contrast in each frame 💕

7. Dennis says:

Beautiful photos and some cool facts I didn’t know.

8. Denis1950 says:

Great photos Kathy.
    We have Butterfly Bushes in our garden here in Melbourne Australia. The small nectar feeding birds also like them.

What a beauty, and splendid photography!

10. Little Voice says:

She, he, it is breathtaking…as are your pictures.

11. What amazing photographs! I had a bush like yours once and it did attract butterflies but generally Red Admirals here.

I just saw a Western Tiger Swallowtail in my Oak tree! I wasn’t able to get such AMAZING photos as you did! I’m going to paint one today for my art journal! Thanks Kathy! 💕😃

Thanks for all the education in this post! And yes, she is truly gorgeous!

14. Pingback: Dance | Jill's Art Journal

15. Trail Walker says:

First thing next week I plan to visit the butterfly garden at the Holden Arboretum. Hopefully I will have some pictures to post from there soon. Your “tigers” are beautiful.