The Present

For some, New Year’s Day is a time to be festive; for others, it’s a time to be reflective.  I tend to be one of the latter.  So, shall I include you in some of my mind’s musings this morning?  Nothing intensely profound, simply the path my thoughts were meandering.

In a nutshell, I was thinking that what lies behind is but a memory…what lies ahead is still a mystery…but this moment, aptly named “the present”, is a gift from God.  This year, I want to be more intentional about seeing my moments as gifts to be lived intentionally and gratefully.

And speaking of gifts, one of the presents that I give my folks each year (they’re bird nerds too) is a calendar with pictures of backyard birds taken throughout the previous year. How about I share the ones that made this year’s edition?

january

october

OCTOBER

november

NOVEMBER

december

DECEMBER

And for the cover…these guys were chosen…

cover

COVER

Happy New Year…and may God bless you with many wonderful moments in the year ahead.

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Present

1. Pete Hillman says:

Stunning images, Kathy! I tend to be reflective also, but looking forward to a new year. Happy snapping and all the best for 2017! 🙂

2. Carmen Crawley says:

Love the choices! The cover was perfect. Happy New Year! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

3. LOREN HOYT says:

beautiful calandar as usual, the “other present” is empty AGAIN.  the birds love it.Happy New Year

4. mamaemme says:

Happy New Year to you as well!
    I so much enjoy your photos, and I, too, need to live more in the moment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

5. Mary says:

Thanks for sharing these. What a lovely gift for your parents. A good reminder for all of us to try and live in the moment. You have taken so many lovely photos, it must have been hard to choose. Wishing you and your family a healthy and happy year ahead.

what a beautiful gift you make! Enjoyed everyone of those beautiful pictures..Any chance people can purchase your calendar? Feeling reflective today myself after this difficult week. Thanks for the bright spot. ❤

So – somehow, in the busyness of the last week, I missed the post you shared about your brother. Jodi – I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that I will be asking God to take care of your heart as you process this.
      And although I don’t sell the calendars, I would love to send you one!

• Jodi says:

Thank you Kathy for your kindness and prayers. Much needed and appreciated. My heart is heavy but brightened by your words I could not ask or accept your gift but thank you so very very much for your generosity in offering it.

7. jmcheney says:

Thank you for your gift of these beautiful pictures of beautiful birds. What a treat on New Year’s Day in the morning. Happy picture taking & blogging in 2017.

8. Happy New Year to you. Your calendar looks beautiful! Look forward to seeing more.

What a lovely reflection and beautiful calendar, Kathy! I gave the same kind of gift to my folks. Wishing you a great 2017, blessed with many gifts!

10. All the best for 2017. I look forward to more of your wonderful photographs.

Lovely photos for your calendar but I think my favorite is your cover photo! So much personality in that one! 😃 What a great gift! I’ve often thought about doing something like this with some of my photos. Did you create the calendar yourself or have someone do it for you? Happy Birding in 2017! 🦋🌸🐦

12. A lovely series for a calendar, lucky family members! Happy New Year to you too!

13. Sheila Moss says:

Great assortment of birds, surely a gift to treasure.