The Flavor of February: Backyard Blues

The Eastern Bluebird and the Blue Jay are two year round residents in my backyard, though they show up more often in the winter months to take advantage of the fast free food.

Always a fan favorite, the Bluebird (especially the male) boasts a blue that is breathtaking in its beauty.

These guys are prolific mealworm munchers, but also eat their fair share of Bark Butter – especially once they have little mouths to feed.

The female’s blues are more subdued, but she is still quite lovely.

I am hoping they will have a brood of babies to bring to the feeders in a few months, but for now, I’ll keep enjoying the company of these adults.

Blue Jays are double the size of Bluebirds and are often thought to be brash and  abrasive.

Despite their bullyish reputation, I find them to do more squawking than squabbling. Perhaps that’s because there is such a plentiful food supply that there is not much need to fuss and fight.

These guys LOVE peanuts and will search them out wherever I hide them.

It is always fascinating to watch how many they can pack away in one sitting.

How about one final up-close and personal shot?

I am grateful for my backyard blues!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Flavor of February: Backyard Blues

You are such a talented photographer, Kathy, and your love and appreciation for these beauties shine through your posts!

2. lisakunk says:

Good to know about the peanuts. Thanks. Lovely pictures.

3. lindasschaub says:

Just gorgeous … both the Bluebirds and the Bluejay. I’ve never seen Bluebirds around here – I liked seeing the up close photos of them, just like the Blue Jay. I didn’t realize the Blue Jay had the checkerboard-looking plumage on the back and tail – they flit by so fast, I’ve never noticed it before.

I notice details when I take pictures that I would otherwise miss. Their feathers are so much more detailed than they seem in “real time.”

• lindasschaub says:

I was amazed with the “checkerboard” detail on the tail/back portion of the Jay and we’ve had them here in the neighborhood for decades (except a few years when the West Nile virus hit and we lost many Jays and Cardinals … a sad time for bird lovers).

It is funny that you can hide the peanuts and the Blue Jays hunt for them! 😃 Gives new meaning to the game, Hide & Seek!

5. Beautiful shots of the “Blues”!

6. Mags says:

These are all great captures of beautiful birds but that last one is amazing! Those jays do love their peanuts don’t they? Hugs

7. SW says:

Your photography is just beautiful! I love watching the birds and their colors are so vivid and amazing! Fantastic shots!

8. 1nmbirder says:

Wonderful captures! I love that you hide peanuts. How clever!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )