Double The Pleasure: Backyard Blues

Remember the old Wrigley’s gum commercial – “Double the pleasure, double the fun?” Well, that jingle seems to fit the theme of today’s post, and probably the next several  posts as well.

While I am having fun practicing with my new lens, I thought I would choose two of my backyard birds and give them a chance to shine.  Since Bluebirds and Blue Jays both made an appearance while I had camera in hand today, they get the honor of going first.

We’ll start with the male Eastern Bluebird, who was pecking the heck out of a mealworm.

bluebird1 bluebird2

Later, he landed on the end of a branch and gave me his best grumpy face before striking a pretty pose.

bluebird3 bluebird4

The Blue Jay was his predictable self.  He dropped in, gobbled up some peanuts, and then flew off to enjoy the spoils.

bluejay1 bluejay2 bluejay3

The blues on these fellows are so beautiful.  Don’t tell the other backyard birds, but these guys are two of my favorites!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Double The Pleasure: Backyard Blues

1. Susan Feniak says:

I won’t tell. But totally understand why they are favorites!! 🙂

2. Sharon Mann says:

Thank you Kathy, what a treat to see your beautiful Bluebird and BlueJay.

3. Mary says:

Thank you for your photos. I am trying to learn to draw/paint birds and your photos are giving me inspiration and references for colour etc.

These are the two of my favourite birds I love from your country, and you showcase them so beautifully Kathy!

5. Trail Walker says:

I love, love, love the bluebirds. As a matter of fact, I visited two parks in search of them today, and came up empty. All I needed to do was click on your blog post, and here they are. Thanks for sharing. Your pictures are great.

amazing beautiful blues! the blue birds especially! 🙂

Love that grumpy face on the male Eastern Bluebird! 😃🐧🙈

8. Snehal Kank says:

Kathy I’m telling you from my bottom of my heart, your photography is so incredible 😍 😍 😍Great photos 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing with us 🙂

9. Sue says:

What kind of lens did you get? Is it for the Rebel? Are you feeding dried or fresh mealworms? I can’t get the birds in my yard interested in the dried mealworms, even after they have soaked in warm water for a while.

It is indeed for the Rebel. It is a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I am having fun playing with it.
      And I do use the dried mealworms. Mostly the Bluebirds, Carolina Wrens, and Robins eat them.

10. These gorgeous blue fellas definitely provide joy and not the ‘blues’, that’s for sure!! 🙂

11. Pingback: Sorry Charlie … Draw a Bird Day (the real one) is COMING! | Create art everyday

12. Dianne says:

Love the grumpy face! Bluebirds are my favorites.