Double The Pleasure: Shades Of Gray

Although the phrase “shades of gray” has been sullied as of late, I’m making it the mission of this post to redeem the words and restore them to noble use!  And what could be more noble than using them to describe the Tufted Titmouse and the Northern Mockingbird, the two birds starring in this “Double the Pleasure” segment.

First the Titmouse.  Furtive is a good word to describe him.  He darted down to grab a peanut and was so quick that I only had time to snap one  photo before he had flown off. Pretty sure he gives a new meaning to the term “fast food!”

titmouse

This Northern Mockingbird (who sometimes brings his mate along) usually stays in the front yard perched at the top of our huge Holly Tree where he LOUDLY and repeatedly goes through his whole repertoire of songs.  He has been coming around to the backyard more frequently lately to partake of the Bark Butter.

mockingbird1 mockingbird2

He usually is not at all bothered by my presence, although he will occasionally shoot me a look that rivals the grumpy faced expression of the male Bluebird.

mockingbird4 mockingbird3

The birds starring in this post are beautiful in their “shades of gray”; but if you are one for whom the phrase has been forever tarnished, I offer this fellow as evidence that the words can still be used for that which is less than noble!

squirrel

Seriously though, the Titmouse and the Mockingbird are so lovely it makes you wonder how anyone could find gray to be a dull color.

Don’t tell the other backyard birds, but these guys are two of my favorites!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Double The Pleasure: Shades Of Gray

1. Sharon Mann says:

Gorgeous gray. The mockingbirds in my neck of the woods (LV, Nevada) are always annoyed with me. They dive bomb the visiting stray cats.

2. Sheila Moss says:

The mocking bird really does sing beautifully. I’ve heard it has no song of its own, but only imitates calls of the other birds. Sort of sad, if true. As Sharon said in her comment, they can be quite aggressive. I had one that terrorized my cat and pecked it on the head any time it was out. I don’t know if it had a nest nearby or just didn’t like cats. LOL

3. Mary says:

And, did you know, there is such a bird as the “Gray Jay”. I have never seen one myself, but you can learn about them here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gray_Jay/id

Awesome grays! You lit it up like I’ve never seen! Thanks for making gray so lovely!

5. Trail Walker says:

Furtive is a great word to describe the titmouse, and I smiled over your comment on fast food. So true!

6. Very distinguished looking models for your series. You caught their best sides!

They might be a little more drab than some of their more colourful kin, but they certainly have great style!

8. Beautiful, Kathy! I’m not a mockingbird fan, but I love that face – as you said, looks just like a grumpy bluebird! Titmice are one of my very favorites. They just love their peanuts. And of course, the squirrel. My husband used to call me squirrel when we were dating (gee, no clue why?!) and so they have always been close to my ❤

9. Love that Titmouse shot!