Day Two For The Toddlers

The baby Bluebirds who left their nesting box yesterday were back in action today!

The parents have been trying to keep them towards the outskirts of the yard, but we all know how well toddlers behave!

This little one followed his Mom when she flew to the deck to get food.  He waited on one branch for a few minutes and then got impatient and moved a little closer.

bb1 bb2

I’m pretty sure Bluebirds are born with that grumpy, bossy expression already in place!

bb3 bb4

It didn’t take Mom long to return with more than a mouthful of mealworms.

bb5 bb6

Next, Mom corralled thing one and thing two and situated them on a branch near the edge of the yard.  Apparently, she let them know in very clear bird words that it was now nap-time, and the toddlers settled in for a bit of shut eye.

bb8 bb9

While the little ones slept, Mom did a bit of personal grooming on a nearby perch, while Dad helped himself to a drink and a bite to eat.

bb10 bb11

I love how he kept an eye on his family overhead.

bb12

When nap-time was over, Mom and Dad took turns delivering the twins their next meal.

bb13

The whole sequence of events was delightfully entertaining to watch!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Day Two For The Toddlers

These are endearing photos, Kathy! Thank you so much for sharing! 💕💖 I think you could write a children’s book with your photos to teach kids about birds! 😍

2. Those are some sweet little birds, lovely!

3. Fantastic shots and post, the second shot of the babies sleeping is sooooo adorable! Love those wide open mouth photos also, excellent!

I wish they had napped a little closer so I could get clearer shots, but hey, I’m still grateful for the ones I could get. They are such cuties.

4. OMG. Kathy. Goodness. I seriously love every bluebird photo you take, but these take the cake. (Yes, a gluten-free cake lol) Seriously, the twins are precious. And daddy bluebird is priceless!!! I must draw these tonight. Won’t be able to wait half a second. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us! ❤

I was so glad they showed up. Pretty sure more birds will be bringing their babies soon too. 🙂

• I really need to email this to myself, would be so wonderful to spend some therapeutic pencil time with those sweet babies and this cute family. I guess mama bluebird is around too, Kathy? My memory is bad and I saw this last night … I don’t remember seeing her, just he and the babies in these shots?

5. Aww, these photos give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside ❤

6. I love that grumpy bossy expression, so sweet Kathy.

7. Denis1950 says:

Beautiful photos, its a vulnerable time for the little ones. I don’t know about your local predators but here in Melbourne Australia, predator birds take a lot of fledglings.

Some predators here, but also a lot of bird battling over territories. My Mockingbirds just had babies, and they are terrorizing all the other birds!

8. This is so wonderful to see. We are privileged to have your photographs, Kathy.

9. Cathe says:

What a sweet family. I love all the images you captured and the expressions! Really wonderful!

10. kathydoremus says:

Thanks – these guys are so cute and fun to watch!

11. Oh gosh my memory is bad, now I’m seeing mom. Sorry for my sleepy brain. Will be sketching these beauties soon! Thank you, Kathy.

12. The bossy expression photo may be the best, because don’t they just?! Lol love! Ok I’ll stop my sleepy ramblings but this post is priceless. Blessings to you and your family and your Tuesday, my friend.

13. Little Voice says:

Kathy, your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

I’m not telling my husband that I had to balance on the deck railing to get the best shot of the babies napping! The things we will do for a photograph!

14. Sheila Moss says:

These are wonderful photos, babies are too cute. And you be careful!

15. Pingback: Draw a Bird Day May: Bird Art Roundup! | Create art everyday