A Happy Little Hummer

As I was out stalking Swallowtails, this happy little hummer paid a visit.

He spent half his time hovering, and the other half just hanging around.

He helped himself to some nectar from the butterfly bush…

…and then perched on the blossoms for a bit.

Hummingbirds have very weak feet and have a hard time walking or hopping like other birds, so they spend most of their time either flying or perching.

I was thrilled that this little fellow stuck around long enough for me to get several shots – usually they are busy dipping, diving, and darting away!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to A Happy Little Hummer

1. 1nmbirder says:

Very nice captures!! Nice and sharp! I especially loved the one of it sitting still. 😁

Wow!! Great captures. Especially the perch on blossom. A rare catch indeed!!!

3. Beautiful captures, Kathy!

4. Snehal Kank says:

Beautiful photos Kathy πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

5. lindasschaub says:

Thanks for the up-close shots … I’m surprised I have not seen more of them around in this hot weather. I pass a person’s house on my daily walk and they have two hummingbird feeders but I never see any hummers there. Maybe they are enjoying the “real deal” like at your house.

6. Ann Fitzpatrick says:

Great shots Kathy, thanks for sharing!

I have never noticed the patterns on their throat, like some of your images show… do you know what this means? Beautiful photos, my favorite bird!! πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’›

They are interesting little birds. The males, at times, have a ruby throat (hence the name, ruby-throated hummingbirds), but the feathers themselves aren’t actually red, it’s just the way they react to light. Cool science stuff that I don’t really understand!

8. Washe Koda says:

They are thick around my Cannas too! I have never been able to get a photo shot of any. I guess they know I got a cat & the hummers don’t trust me 😲

9. These are wonderful, particularly the shots where he’s perching.

10. Mags says:

Oh, my goodness! What amazing captures of that little beauty. You are so lucky, I have never been able to get a good photo of little hummers. Thank you for sharing these I really enjoyed them. Hugs

11. atkokosplace says:

Humming birds are a favorite of mine. I hadn’t seen one is so very long, until a couple days ago! Sadly though, before that it had been at least 2 years! your pictures are stunning! Thank you for sharing. πŸ™‚

12. MyOwnSpace says:

So nice..kudos to your efforts.. really lucky to get those shots…superb work

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w