Drab or Dashing?

The Grey Catbird is an occasional visitor to my backyard.

Like his Mockingbird cousin, he is a mimic with a hearty collection of calls, the most common being the mew-like sound of a cat from whence he gets his name.

This bird has an appetite for insects, berries, and of course…Bark Butter.

Though some might consider this monochrome mimic rather drab, he does have a dash of rusty red feathers tucked beneath his tail.

Personally, I’d say this fellow with the fancy fanny is actually quite dashing!

Wife, mother, daughter, and friend. One who dabbles in writing, thinks in rhyme, and is utterly unable to escape the allure of alliteration:) Amateur nature photographer. A backyard bird watcher, a hiker of non-strenuous trails to waterfalls, and a fan of Atlanta sports teams. Driver of an orange Jeep Renegade who goes by the name of Earl. One who is nourished by silence, solitude, and a good cup of coffee. A lover of Godโ€™s Word and the riches that are hidden there. An extremely ordinary jar of clay who longs to see and be satisfied by the glory of God, and to somehow display that in my everyday life.
This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Drab or Dashing?

1. jmcheney says:

I love our dapper backyard neighbors. the catbirds, who sport chic black berets, & rakish reddish rears, & lay beautiful azure blue eggs after mating. They mew & meow & sometimes caterwaul from dense foliage spring evenings & summer dusks. They will be off south in a few weeks to my old South Florida backyard, where they arrived annually the years we lived there October 4th (I kept a log). And I will miss them here in Asheville all winter & anticipate for their welcome return late next April.

2. lindasschaub says:

And he holds that tail up at a jaunty angle, so you can see those fancy pants red feathers too!

3. The first time I saw this bird, I thought I was looking for the cat in the bushes, lol. Great shots, love seeing a flash of that rusty rump!

Your shots show off his dashingness!!

I have always thought it funny that a bird made the sound of a cat! ๐Ÿ˜ธ Your photos make him extra dashing!! ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™

6. David says:

I’m a big fan of these guys. Nice photos!

7. Mabel Kwong says:

Lovely captures of this little bird. Great timing and wonderful clarity. It looks like he was hungry for something to eat that day, and managed to score himself a snack. I’d say he looks dashing too…he didn’t get a bit of food on himself while he ate ๐Ÿ˜€

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )