Cowbird Courtship

Spring has arrived and love is definitely in the air!

This afternoon I had the pleasure of watching this male cowbird doing his best to capture the attention of a fair-feathered maiden.

cowbird1

He reminded me of a cross between the Caped Crusader and Count Dracula as he repeatedly arched his wings, puffed his feathers, and tap-danced down the tree branch.

cowbird2 cowbird3 cowbird4

Each time he took a step or two, he would call out to her in short bursts of song.

cowbird5 cowbird6 cowbird7

She mostly pretended to ignore him, but occasionally sent him a flirtatious glance; giving him just enough encouragement to keep him in steady pursuit!

cowbird8

I would love to tell you how it all ended, but just as our hooded hero seemed poised to make his final move…

cowbird9 cowbird10

…the moment was rudely interrupted by the roar of a chainsaw in my neighbor’s backyard.  The pair then flew off to a more private location, but I think it’s safe to say that there will be Cowbird babies hanging around in the near future.

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Cowbird Courtship

1. avian101 says:

Don’t worry, you’ll see more of them! 🙂

2. Sharon Mann says:

The maiden looks mildly interested! Great pictures and sequence.

How awesome. The cowbirds are at our house too! 😊

Great to see your photos of a REAL one! I did an imaginary one last year! 😄💙🎨

5. Sheila Moss says:

Cute. We ate out this evening and sat on the restaurant patio. I noticed a couple of sparrows on their honeymoon also. Must be the season for romance.

6. Love is indeed in the air! Great shots, Kathy! 🌹😍

t is always a very special privilege to see the courting ritual of a bird pair, how blessed you were Kathy!

8. The females quizzical look is so nicely placed in your series! Great post 🙂 .

9. Little Voice says:

I am always amazed at your ability to capture these pictures. You have a great eye, and perfect timing. Thank you for sharing.

10. Great action series and post, Kathy, fantastic!

11. Trail Walker says:

I’m not a huge fan of cowbirds, but I love these pictures and your story. Thanks!

12. Sue says:

Great photos, Kathy. I’m also not a fan of these birds, mostly because I see the poor little Chipping Sparrows trying to rear Cowbird babies instead of their own chicks every year.