Sipping in the Sun

My Lantana has been covered with Fiery Skippers lately, busy sipping nectar in the summer sun.  They don’t seem to mind the near hundred degree temperatures in the least.

skipper6

These button-eyed butterflies are fast, flighty, and rarely sit still for more than a second.

skipper2 skipper3

They are only about the size of a nickel, so their small size and constant motion makes them a bit challenging to photograph.  Let’s just say they fly far faster than I focus!

skipper4 skipper5

Still, they are lovely against the bright flower petals and it is a delight to watch them flit about.

skipper1

This entry was posted in Words Without Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sipping in the Sun

1. These are a stunning set of photographs. I like Skippers, but I have never seen one like this before.

You got terrific photographs of the little Skipper, Kathy!

3. memadtwo says:

I always enjoy your photos, but these colors are particularly delicious. (K)

Oh these colors – they are like sweet cool sherbet! LOVE!

I liked how the Lantana colors blurred in the background – it is indeed sherberty! It reminds me of when I was a kid and always used to get an orange-raspberry swirled Italian Ice from the ice cream truck.

5. Snehal Kank says:

They are incredible Kathy 💜💕

6. Wow. Your non-bird shots are as stunning, maybe moreso(!) than the bird shots!

7. Little Voice says:

Kathy, your pictures are terrific.

8. Beautiful shots! This is my first summer with a “real” camera and I am always amazed with the beautiful background colours that can show up to frame the subject.

9. Pingback: The Hottest Spot In Town | Backyard Bird Nerd