A Bluebird Berating

Five minutes…I knew that’s about all the time I had, but I grabbed my camera anyway and headed out to the deck for a little photo therapy.

This male Bluebird was waiting for me, and immediately began berating me.

Bluebird1

Bluebird2

Don’t you love how expressive he is?

Bluebird3

Bluebird4

It wasn’t hard to determine the cause of his displeasure.

His Bark Butter log was totally empty, and he has a newly hatched brood of babies to feed.

barkbutterlog

Not wanting to incur his wrath any longer than necessary, I put down my camera and quickly refilled his feeder.

I had barely gotten my hand away before he was grabbing a beakful of food and flying off to his front yard nesting box.

Bluebird5

As he disappeared, I’m pretty sure I heard him saying something like, “Thank you so much.  You are an amazing woman!  There’s no one else like you in the whole world!”   Turned out to be a good therapy session after all.

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to A Bluebird Berating

1. Kit Dunsmore says:

Love your pictures! Our feeder birds get bossy, too. What is “bark butter”?

Bark Butter is a suet type spread that is sold at Wild Birds Unlimited. My birds go crazy for it! 🙂

• Kit Dunsmore says:

We bought our feeders there but I haven’t been to the store in a while. My hubby does all our bird seed shopping. However, we have had great success with dried meal worms.

2. Squidtea says:

I love that you have birds who rely on your feeder(s). I had a regular seed feeder for a while, my visitors being usually limited to Cardinals, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and Blue Jays, with a rare Tufted Titmouse. I did have a pair of juvenile Blue Jays who fought over the best spot… Love the emphatic Bluebird pictures!

3. Their expressions are priceless, Kathy. You are really skilled with that clicker to get so many good shots! And his emotions are right there to be seen, too. Almost like looking into a dog’s face!

4. Shannon says:

This post made me smile all over. Thanks for that!

5. bmoan1 says:

We have so many blue birds and would love to know where you got this feeder and what the ingredients are in your Bark Butter.

Thanks Billie Moan Rambling Rose Studio

Sent from my iPad

Well…the feeder is simply a small log from a Bradford Pear tree that had to be chopped down. My husband drilled holes in it and added a few perches and presto – awesome feeder. Bark Butter is a suet spread that I get from Wild Birds Unlimited. A ton of different birds come to my feeders for it. This, along with peanuts and sunflower seeds, are my “must have” bird foods!
      Let me know if you try some. 🙂

This bark butter seems to be all the go in your neck of the woods, Kathy, but have not heard of it here. I don’t think seed feeding is as great here because most of the good birds are deep in the bush and the miners have driven them away. We have lots of honeyeaters and not a lot of those would eat seed. Love your lovely clear close ups of your beautiful bluebird. Blue and gold go so well together. if we did have a feeder the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo would dominate it, and the racket they would make would be so loud the neighbours would complain.

7. roughrustics says:

Reblogged this on Rough Rustics and commented:
    Some fantastic shots of a male bluebird!

8. What a feathered packet of personality! 🙂

9. Love the bluebirds that I see in the park, but they don’t come to our feeders. I’m thinking I should get some bark butter. Your pictures are fantastic.

Thanks. We can have a mutual admiration club since I am always in awe of your pictures! And you should definitely pick up some Bark Butter – Wild Birds Unlimited carries it.

Lovely Bluebird photos! Love the expressions – so animated! Do you take your photos on a tripod? Would love to know what kind of camera you are using too! 😊

I love taking Bluebird pictures…they always seem so expressive.
      I don’t use a tripod (I have to bend and twist and move to get the shot depending on where the bird lands) and I use a Canon SX50HS for almost all my bird photography. I like to call it a “Powershot on steroids” because it has really good zoom.

11. Never seen a bluebird before… So pretty!!!

12. Sue says:

Those are some amazing expressions. Who says birds aren’t smart? The Blue jays did that to me the other day when the feeder ran out of peanuts.

My Blue Jays also get quite loud when the peanut tray is empty. They sit on the branches and bob their bodies up and down while they squawk at me.

13. I love his expressions! I wouldn’t mind being ‘berated’ by this gorgeous bird 😀

14. Katie says:

Lol.. great pics. My cat treats me this way all the time and, I’m pretty sure, says similar things after a feed 😉

15. Beautiful Blue Bird. He was letting you know that he was hungry! Very smart bird.

Alan