A Web Worthy Post

The weather is damp and the lighting is dim in my backyard today; less than ideal for taking pictures of birds.  This makes me a bit crazy when my finger is itching to hit the shutter button!  Thankfully, I saw this spider hanging out in my front yard, and he didn’t seem to mind me snapping several photos.

spider1

I had to get pretty close to this fellow, and although I find them fascinating, I am not a huge spider fan.   I kept having visions of him pouncing from his web (do spiders even pounce?) and landing on me, which would most certainly be followed by a blood curdling scream and my camera getting flung to the ground in my frantic efforts to flick it off me.

Let me give you a closer look.

spider2

When he started shifting positions, I decided that we could call our photo shoot finished!

spider3

He is rather cool looking though, don’t you think?

This entry was posted in Words Without Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to A Web Worthy Post

1. Spot on focus. Great job.

2. Cheryl Blackburn says:

I think you were right to end your photography session; the last picture does look as if he is getting ready to pounce. 🙂 BTW, was wondering what the largest and smallest birds are and thought you would know. Are they the flamingo and hummingbird?

3. What are these called? I saw one yesterday too. Amazing photos!!

4. avian101 says:

Great shots Kathy! This month is great for spiders, they are all over. 🙂

5. Hairy little chap, isn’t he? That would be more than close enough for me…

6. jonacua says:

Great photos. Congratulations!!

Great spider shot Kathy! Yes, the weather is crazy here for this time of year, it is supose to be summer but we are experiencing weather like yours right now, not good for birding, though my wife and I did go out yesterday and braved the weather, but God held back the rain and we had a wonderful time together, the only people in the reserve, visiting the Tawny Frogmouth nest & the babies (pictured on my home page). Somestimes spiders, frogs and insects are all we will see, but they all beautiful creatures worthy of our appreciation and our Heavenly Father’s praise and adoration.

Great photo, Kathy! It did give me the creeps a bit though. Hehe! 😉

9. Squid says:

I’ve been having the same type of weather problems… Kudos for not giving up but instead finding a really cool spider! A little creepy to be sure, but awesome! 😀

10. Ann Fitzpatrick says:

He is a geogeous fellow! At least I think he is a fellow with those sideburns!

11. Oh yes, he looks very cool. I enjoyed this series very much 🙂

12. Pingback: Horrifying or Mesmerizing? | Backyard Bird Nerd

13. Sue says:

That is one hairy spider! Nice macro shots.