Pollenebriated

If bees could get tipsy from feasting on flowers, then the ones who have been flying about my front yard should be quite pollenebriated by now!

bee1

bee6

As I watched these cool creatures flying from flower to flower (praying I wouldn’t get stung!) I found myself thinking that “busy as a bee” is certainly an apt description!

bee2

bee5

I did find out through the wonders of Google that these guys need to eat a lot!  One quote said that, “A bumble bee with a full stomach is ever only forty minutes from starvation.”
(A Sting in the Tale by Dave Goulson)   Their metabolism is about 75% higher than a Hummingbird’s!

bee7

bee4
Don’t you love the stain-glassed wing look in the picture below?

bee3

Anyway, after carefully watching these bees for days, I have come to the conclusion that they must have built up a quite a tolerance to pollen partaking as they don’t seem the least bit intoxicated – these guys merely seem buzzed!

This entry was posted in Words Without Birds and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Pollenebriated

I love that word – pollenebriated!!! 🙂 You are making me want to paint buzzing bees 🙂

2. Sheila Moss says:

So, we can go to your blog and learn about the birds and the bees, huh?

3. Great bee photographs. I know how hard they are to take!

4. These are stunners, Kathy! I hope to see them in Birds and Blooms at some point!

Wow! BEE-U-tiFul photos Kathy!! You always amaze me how you get such fabulous details with your photos. ❤️🐝😊

Great macros Kathy, I have never seen a bee with a woolen vest before, I guess it gets cold there:-)

Lovely photos – as always – Kathy! And I love the new word you’ve taught me – next time I’m suffering from hayfever I’ll call in sick with “pollenebriation”!

8. Trail Walker says:

I love your title, Kathy, and the pictures are all so sharp and wonderfully rich in color. This is a beautiful post.