They’re Back!

Did you hear me squeal yesterday afternoon?  Because I did!
I looked out my family room window and saw a bright red head peeking out from the side of the Dogwood.  He flew away when I went out with my camera, but I spread some Bark Butter (aka – bird bait!) and settled in to wait.  It wasn’t long before he (and his lovely mate) got brave enough to investigate.

I’m fairly sure this is the same pair that showed up last April and visited  into the summer months as these birds are known to stay with the same mate and to occupy the same nesting cavity for several years in a row.

I only managed to get clear pictures of one member of the pair yesterday; the other didn’t land close enough for long enough to get a clear shot.  But isn’t he the definition of breathtaking!

I’m sure they will be back before long, as they have re-discovered the food supply.

So…if you can’t find me, odds are good I’ll be camped out with my camera waiting for these two Red-headed Woodpeckers to bless me with another photo opp.
The joys of being a backyard bird nerd!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to They’re Back!

1. Terry Hoyt says:

JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS, He is georgeous

2. 1nmbirder says:

Gorgeous pics! You’re lucky! We have one mating pair in our area and that’s about 45 minutes from my house.

3. That is one beautiful wood pecker! What amazing color. Great photos!

I heard your squeal from here! Lol! 😂 L❤ve that red head!!

5. Very nice bird ! I’ve looked for it in february in Central Park, but it wasn’t the good time ! :/

YAY! Welcome back beauties! It’s been fun here, too, seeing so many of our faves return to the backyard!

7. Sheila Moss says:

Who wouldn’t scream if they spotted something that handsome out the window. The best I’ve done is a few robins and cardinals.

8. The woodpecker is indeed beautiful…and your photography skills are amazing.

9. That’s what that noise was! I’d be excited too!

10. Trail Walker says:

Wow! Beautiful! I hope you see them every day.

I would be camping out too, this couple is worth it 🙂