A Fortunate Mis-forecast

The weekend forecast called for a dusting of snow over the Atlanta area that ended up dropping nine inches in our neck of the woods.  It was a beautiful, perfect-for-packing kind of snow that provided hours of fun and memory making.  It also knocked out our power for about sixteen hours, which simply added to the adventure, allowing us to play “CodeNames” by the fire.

Needless to say, I took advantage of the opportunity to get some snowy bird photos, a rarity here in “Hotlanta!”  I took pictures til my toes were froze, my thumbs were numb, and the camera batteries had died!  Here are a dozen:

White-thraoted Sparrow

Northern Cardinal – Male

Northern Mockingbird

Eastern Bluebird – Male

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal – Female

Carolina Chickadee

Eastern Bluebird – Female

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Downy Woodpecker

Brown Thrasher

Pine Warbler – Male

And now, we’ve had our fill of winter weather here in the south; you all up north can keep the snow til next year!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to A Fortunate Mis-forecast

1. Carmen Crawley says:

Beautiful! I was waiting for the snow pics!

2. avian101 says:

Not bad Kathy for a snowy day! We got 12″ in Paulding County. Very nice photos! 🙂

send that snow here!!!! I want it and we don’t have. Lucky you! What a fun adventure!

Wow! Looks like you got a LOT of snow!! HO HO HO! 🎅🎁🎄 We don’t have any yet!! ❄️

5. How do you get those amazing shots? Do you have a bird-hide in the garden? We’ve had a lovely, bullfinch visit here today, an infrequent visitor, but always a joy to see.

A wonderful selection of birds Kathie, the Eastern Bluebird took my attention, having lovely colours, different to the Mountain version. I love the rufous and blue contrast.

7. Mike Bizeau says:

Beautiful collection and the snow just adds so much. Wonder what those birds were think having made it down south and thinking they had escaped winter weather?

8. jmnowak says:

So clever that they can still find nuts under the snow! 🤗 Lovely fotos Kathy.

9. Sheila Moss says:

Wonderful pictures. The white snow makes a nice background for the birds.

10. Hi! Would it be ok if I include the Eastern Bluebird – Male photo in a Christmas snow post that I’m hoping to do soon, with usual credit and links back? Pls let me know, thanks!

11. Pingback: Christmas Snow – Exploring Colour

12. DailyMusings says:

Your capture of the Thrasher is so beautiful! I have only seen one once. (NJ)

13. Wow so much snow for the south. Great pictures you got of the sweet birds🙂