A Snack Between Showers

Today’s forecast called for steady rain with waves of thunder storms, so when we had a brief break in the wet weather, I filled up the feeders and ventured out with the hopes of taking a few photos.

The birds were happy to oblige, dropping in to scoop up some snacks before the next round of showers.

The Blue Jays, of course, popped in to re-stock their peanut supply.

This female Red-bellied Woodpecker (who is currently much sought after and much fought after!) sampled Bark Butter from several places while her would-be-beaus battled to be her suitor.

Of course, the Red-bellied aren’t the only ones giving evidence that mating season has arrived. This male bluebird has been striking pretty poses…

…and bringing food offerings in his efforts to woo the female. (He really is a keeper!)

And this sweet female Downy Woodpecker…

…has clearly captured this fellow’s attention, who seems to be relying on his good looks to win her over.

He constantly flared his head feathers to impress her, and to give any opponents fair warning that he was a force to be reckoned with!

He was definitely my favorite bird of the day. Isn’t he the cutest?

Such a wonderful way to enjoy a Sunday afternoon!

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Snack Between Showers

1. jmcheney says:

Your photographs are fabulous, Kathy, & your narration delightful. You made our Sundays special too. I’ve had fun watching squirrels& jays grabbing peanuts & chipmunks chucking in 2 or 3 or 4 at a time & scurrying off with bulgey cheeks. The brown thrasher came around & so did the flicker. But I have no record but except but that in my mind’s eye. Thank you for yours. Judith in Asheville

Glad you have had some entertainment! My squirrels and chipmunks are getting far less food these days since one of my dogs finds great delight in chasing them!

• jmcheney says:

My dear old darling Luc died 3 yrs. old & being 80, I haven’t rescued or adopted another dog, so my yard has much bolder wildlife now. Luc kept the squirrels (& the possum early in the morning) up in the trees, the chipmunks very wary to creep out & the ground hog on the scurry. The creatures frolic all over now & the possum dines nightly on the “banquet wall”.
        These are small compensations for life w/o dear Luc the Duke. I will miss him always but they are fun to watch day & night. No bear sightings yet this spring, but I am wary & on the lookout.

2. Wow Wow Wow Beautiful birds merci de partager.
    Wow Wow Wow Beautiful birds thank you for sharing.

3. Pingback: A Snack Between Showers — Backyard Bird Nerd

4. dawnkinster says:

Oh my, they are all adorable! I’ve been noticing a lot of chasing each other around the yard flirting. And I had two bluejays in the tree outside the kitchen window who were in love. Lots of happiness in the yard this time of year!

5. Farm Gal says:

I like your photos, especially the ones of the Blue Birds ! Thank you for continuing to send them to us, it brightens up the day.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 4:52 PM Backyard Bird Nerd wrote:

> kathydoremus posted: “Today’s forecast called for steady rain with waves > of thunder storms, so when we had a brief break in the wet weather, I > filled up the feeders and ventured out with the hopes of taking a few > photos. The birds were happy to oblige, dropping in to scoop ” >

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )