Love At Second Sight

It was love at second sight!

I was standing in the kitchen, chopping up our first watermelon of the season, when I saw a flash of red fly past the window.  Without stopping to think, I abandoned my sticky mess, gave my hands a quick rinse, and darted outside with my camera.

And there he was, a Scarlet Tanager!  I had seen one of these beautiful birds a week or so ago, but I didn’t figure I would be blessed with a return visit.

This fellow started off with a quick dip in the bird bath…

tanager1

tanager2

…but he didn’t stay long as he was in no mood to share the water with a pair of intrusive doves who clearly had no respect for his personal space.

tanager3

Next, he flew to a branch and surveyed the fountain to make sure it was safe and doveless.

tanager4

He lounged in the water for several luxurious moments, then departed to the tree tops where he disappeared behind a cluster of leaves.

tanager5

tanager6

tanager7

Now, I’ll admit, I know little of his personality (other than the fact that he is feistier than I first thought) but I am absolutely enthralled by his appearance.  Call me shallow if you like, but it’s definitely love at second sight!

tanager8

This entry was posted in Backyard Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Love At Second Sight

1. That is one pretty bird! Tell him to stop by my house for a visit. 🙂

2. Mike says:

Nice show and very nicely captured!

3. So beautiful! Is your camera mounted on your birdbath?! How do you get such amazing shots! I’m smelling more artwork, lol! Thanks for sharing these!

4. So beautiful! What I’d give to spend an afternoon in your backyard! 😀 Don’t worry, I won’t do anything crazy like that, of course.

Beautiful captures Kathy! You are so like me, dropping everything to catch the moment, which would have otherwise be lost. I love the brilliance of the bird, it would take my attention likewise if it spun past me also.

6. Wow, he is quite dashing — a veritable Antonio Banderas of the grosbeak family! 🙂

7. Stunning photos!!

8. Send him my way please, Kathy. He is a beauty and your pictures are amazing.

9. atkokosplace says:

He’s a beauty! What a wonderful addition to your backyard friends!❀❀❀

10. As always, Kathy, really enjoyed this post and so many others here. This may sound a bit cheeky, but I’m wondering if you would consider adding the “Search” widget to your sidebar? I’d love to find all of your chipmunk posts, for example, and I believe that as long as you typed that word into a post containing a chipmunk photo, I should then get a list of all of the posts with a chipmunk. I have the box on my blog, and it was easy to add (and free), so if you’re not sure what I mean, you’ll find it at my place. Of course, you may not want to have the search box, which is perfectly fine, but since you have so many great photos and I’m a new artist, just thought I’d ask. Other readers may find it helpful as well. Thanks!

Hi Kathy! I would like to paint a couple of these birds you photographed and post them on my blog. I will certainly name you as the photographer but I wanted to ask your permission first. Are you OK with this? 😊

12. These photos are FAB-U-LOUS!!!! You outdid yourself, Kathy!! What a pleasure to view these super-great shots!!! We see these birds up north but they are always high up in the tree tops. What a gift to have him come down and take a bath in your backyard!! Thanks for sharing him with all of us. I just love all of these photos! (And I hope you get a few more visits! 🙂 )

Thanks! It’s hard to go wrong with such a stunning subject. 🙂 But you probably heard me squeal all the way in Michigan when he landed in the fountain!

13. Pingback: Hooray, Hooray! Today Is Bird Day! | Jill's Art Journal

14. cherthmng says:

I just started following you because of Jill’s painting of your tanager. What a beautiful bird! And your photos are stunning. I too take a lot of bird photos, but don’t get quite as close as you seem to except for my hummingbirds which are right outside the window at a feeder, although I do have to take them through the window which isn’t always the clearest shot. Thank you for sharing these! I am learning to blog and post pictures, but have many on Facebook to share with family and friends. I also am in a painting class with Jill and have been painting birds. Yours would make a lovely subject since they are so detailed and close. Beautiful!